23 December, 2011

White Chocolate

Does anyone besides me remember the "Alpine White" bars that Nestle used to sell in the blue and white packaging?  When I was a kid I looked at the white chocolate and thought "Ick...who would eat that?"  It took until me until I was about 9 to try one.  I L-O-V-E-D it!  Too bad for me they discontinued them 2 years later.  *sigh*  Seems to be my dorky lot in life, I catch on to all of the great things juuuuust before they are removed from the market.  Sound familiar?

I know the title of this candy bar is insanely long, but I think it is worth the lengthy description.  It is the ONLY thing about this post that takes a while to do.  They are super easy to make and they don't last long once the chocolate sets....not in my house anyhow.  Let's get on with it, shall we?

Vegan Cran-Orange Almond White Chocolate Candy Bars
2 vegan white chocolate candy bars
1/2 c. organic dehydrated cranberries
1 tsp. organic dehydrated valencia orange peel
1/2 c. slivered almonds
candy bar shaped chocolate mold

Break the candy bars down in to small pieces and put them in a double boiler.  Stir the chocolate as it melts.  When completely melted remove bowl from boiling pot and toss in cranberries, almonds and orange peel.  Mix together until everything is coated and spoon mixture into candy bar mold.  Allow to sit until chocolate has completely solidified again.


White chocolate has a classically mellow flavor, so the cranberry and orange really bring it to life.  The almonds are a really nice compliment to the nuttiness that white chocolate already seems to have.  I wasn't sure that anyone else would be interested in eating these, boy was I wrong.  The Sprout loves them and my Mister doesn't think they are half bad either.  There are a million things you can do like this, play around with it and most of all, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment